The squat is the primordial builder exercise. He will work mainly the muscles of the lower body and the trunk. This is a key exercice for the strenght factor. Highly prescribed in almost of all lower body workout.
Smith machine squat is a variant of the classic squat, the fact of moving back from the axis of the bar will focus on your quads and therefore opposite direction by putting your feet forward,this will solicit more your glutes and the flexibility of your hips.
This compound exercise fully reinforces your quadriceps : rectus femoris, vastus intermedius, vastus lateralis, vastus médialis and secondary your calves, ischios, glutes and lumbar.
The use of a bar may seem heavy at the shoulders, so it is recommended to use a cushion in this case.
Instructions for smith machine squat
- 1. Start by defining the workload.
- 2. Place yourself under the bar, taking care to lower your head, feet and knees are tightened as much as possible, bend your knees slightly.
- 3. The bar is placed on the fleshy part of the shoulders, that is to say on the upper back.
- 4. Grab the bar with your hands a wider grip than your shoulders and thumbs around the bar.
- 5. Push in your legs to raise the bar, and remove the safety if there is one.
- 6. Slowly bend your knees out without moving them forward to lower your body without leaning forward. Tilt your pelvis to push your buttocks backwards. The hips also go backwards to accompany the movement.
- 7. Then go down according to your flexibility. Once down, move up pushing in your legs and heels in the same axis as the previous phase.
- 8. Continue your series by repeating the movement.
Smith machine squat : several techniques, tips, and advice
- 1. We advise you to warm up with squats at the weight of body then with the bar without loads before your sessions.
- 2. The toes and knees are towards the outside.
- 3. Perform slow movements and use break times at the bottom and top of the exercise.
- 4. Voluntarily contract your glutes and look upward when climbing.
- 5. Do not bend your back.
- 6. Do not put the bar on your neck.
- 7. Do not go down too low if you are a beginner to plan the ascent.