Whatever your goal the deadlift will be effective for you: weight loss, weight gain, backache, better overall shape, the deadlift is perfect for you. It will obviously be necessary to complete it with an adapted food plan.
Working your back is essential for your posture, having a broad and powerful back. It is very important to vary angles and work exercises to optimize your muscles.
The deadlift is a flagship model in bodybuilding, it is part of the classic exercises sessions leg or lower body.
This compound movement will work primarily on your lumbar. Also secondary muscles such as: calves, forearms, glutes, ischios, lats, quadriceps and traps. It is the bodybuilding exercise that works the most muscle at the same time.
This is the instructions for the smith machine deadlift
- (Read the instructions, tips and advice, and watch the video several times before doing the exercise)
- 1. Set the load on the bar and position it as low as possible on the machine.
- 2. Place the feet with a width apart of the pelvis, under the bar, with your shins very close to it.
- 3. Do a hip flexion according to your flexibility: that is to say, bend the bust forward keeping the back flat (right without bending it).
- 4. Then do a knee flexion until the hands are able to catch the bar and take it into pronation (back of the hands facing you). Here is the starting position. You have your back straight (flat) and leaned, your eyes in front of you, hips and knees bent.
- 5. Raise the bar along the shins as much as possible by extending the knees and hips simultaneously. Climb to reach your classic standing position.
- 6. Once the maximum extension is reached, go down again by flexing your hip and then bending your knee, the bar close to the body to protect your back.
- 7. Continue your series by repeating the movement.
The smith machine deadlift : several techniques, tips and advice
- 1. We advise you to control the hip flexion before performing this movement. If you are a beginner, practice first with a moderate weight.
- 2. The shoulders are perfectly above the bar, neither at the front nor at the back. And the arms are stretched.
- 3. Adapt according to your morphology: length of the legs and the bust. Hip flexion usually occurs when the bar passes above the knees. That is to say: extend your knees and once the bar is just above their level, do a hip extension.
- 4. Look in front of you, align your cervical with the spine.
- 5.During the push phase, the hip extension and knee extension are almost simultaneous.
- Do not climb the buttocks before the bar lifts off the ground so as not to put too much pressure on the lumbar.
- 7. Bring the chest up, tighten your shoulder blades and contract the entire posterior chain (back of the body).
- 8. Keep the bar close to the body: shins and thighs.
- 9. Throughout the exercise, the heels must remain anchored to the ground.
- 10. The arms are stretched throughout the exercise and support the weight of the bar without forcing it up.