This exercise mainly focuses on the chest volume and your triceps. Variation of the classic Dumbbell Press, it is also more difficult.
Close grip dumbbell bench, the main instructions
- 1. Sit on the bench with the dumbbells in your hands in a neutral way (the palms are facing each other). Put them on the top of your thighs.
- 2. Lie down, the back plated on the bench or with your natural arch. Keep your legs on the ground or on the sides of the bench if your back is bent.
- 3. Place the dumbbells on your chest and be sure to keep your elbows close to the body.
- 4. While exhaling, raise the dumbbells while keeping them tight each other.
- 5. Go down by bending your elbows and keeping your dumbbells stuck on the same axis as the climb.
- 6. Continue your series by repeating the movement.
Close grip dumbbell bench press, read our techniques, tips and advice
- 1. It is important to keep the same axis on ascent and descent. Respect an imaginary line above your chest to secure your back.
- 2. Your elbows are flexible and close to the body to maintain chest tension and do not tilt dumbbells.
- 3. Tighten the shoulder blades on the descending phase.
- 4. Stabilize the pelvis by contracting the glutes and abdominals. As well as maintaining a pressure on the ground (or on the sides of the bench) with the feet.
- 5. Tighten the pecs and push the dumbbells together as you climb.