This exercise will fully strengthen your legs, it can be compared to a variant of the squat, yet the movement is different. The muscles involved are similar and can target the agonists and antagonists of movement, that is to say the back and the top of the thigh.
Either the hamstrings and the quads.
Here is how to perform well the leg press
- 1. Set the load on the machine and sit with your back pressed against the seat.
- 2. Place your feet on the top of the platform machine and with a gap greater than the width of your hips (see video).
- 3. Grasp the handles before pushing into your thighs to raise the platform and remove the safety if there is one.
- 4. Extend your legs to raise the platform.
- 5. Slowly, bend your knees to return to the initial position.
- 6. Continue your series by repeating the movement.
For your safety and a good performance, here are the tips, advice and techniques for the leg press
- 1. Do not stretch your legs as much as you raise the platform, maintain a bend, feel 80% of the range and do the same on the descent, do not try to reach as low as possible.
- 2. Keep your feet wider than the pelvis to avoid discomfort.
- 3. Keep the back and especially the lower back well pressed against the seat.
- 4 In order to work more intensely glutes, push in your heels during the effort.
- 5. The look must remain neutral and in front of you to not interfere with your neck.
- 6. Make the movements as slowly as possible for a better muscular sensation.
- 7. Vary work speed to work on your different muscle fibers without jerking or over-speeding.